Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Women Sues UC Berkeley Over Evolution

Recently, a devote literal christian sued UC Berkeley for having a web page endorsing religion, and stating that religion and evolution are compatible. The women suing, Jeanne Caldwell, says that Christianity and evolution cannot be compatible, and has appealed her case to the US Supreme Court, after being rebuffed by the lower courts. The courts say she has no case because the web page hasn't done real damage to her, in a legal sense, so she has no grounds to sue. Even more than that, the establishment clause prevents the government from endorsing religion, not scientific doctrines. In fact the constitution is silent on the grounds of which scientific doctrines to endorse. I'm shocked and appalled that this frivolous case has gotten so far, it makes light of our legal system. Some people might call her actions being a real American, fighting in defense of the ~60% of American's that do not believe in (evolution). I would call her actions ludicrous, and I would call her a damned busy body. I'm all for free speech, and free expression, but when it comes to wasting everyone's tax dollars in court to do it, I say screw that.

If you want to know more, go here to read the story on this lawsuit in detail.

I know I have some Christians that read this blog, what are your opinions on this? I feel people have a right to believe whatever they want, for this case evolution OR creation, or both. I tend to think god(s), in its/their ever abounding wisdom would create beings with the capability to evolve. I hate it when people like this woman try to force their opinions on other people, and attempt to set back civilization by dismantling science.

1 comment:

  1. It's even more ridiculous when you consider that a serious amount of Christians believe in evolution in some form or another. This woman is just wasting her time and our money. :\

    ReplyDelete